Unsure if my wheel is broken

Hi all,

Im a beginner pretty and was recently bought the Shimpo RK-5T as a present. I’ve had loads of fun on this but I’ve began to realise that the wheel isn’t spinning perfectly straight - by this I mean that it seems to be off centre and is resulting in anything over a few inches falling to one side. 

At first I was under impression that this was my lack of skill in centering but I’ve not tested the wheel with a pin in the centre and can sadly say it’s definitely an off centre wheel. 

I was just wondering if anyone had had similar issues with this Shimpo model? And/or if anyone had any recommendations on fixing this? The product is still in warranty but was a present from my girlfriend, who saved up for ages for this. So, I’m reluctant to tell her it’s broken before attempting to fix it. 

looking forward to hearing any solutions; even if it’s a case of getting in touch with Shimpo. 

Many thanks

Regarding similar issues, there is/was a thread here somewhere - the OPs Shimpo wheel head was "waving" significantly. Per my recollection, the shaft has a circlip, a large washer sits on top of the circlip, and the wheel head on the washer, hence, the wheel head is made true to the shaft via the circlip. In that case, my beliefs were a) the wheel head must be held firmly against the washer when the set screws are tightened (the shaft has a flat that the set screws bear against) and b) given the shaft isn't bent, the wheel head may be.

Ah, here's the aforementioned thread: wave in wheel head | Shimpo RK-8 - Equipment Use and Repair - Ceramic Arts Daily Community

Note, Liam indicated his Shimpo is keyed; if your wheel head is keyed on a tapered shaft, the wheel head is made true via the machined interface, that is, the two tapers and the key ways.

Archived