Ideal work/studio agreement

Hi all,

I am in the brainstorming stel of opening a brand new studio/gallery/event space. Curious if any artists out there who are part-time artists and part time salaried employee? Especially those who use a co-op type studio instead of in-home.

If a studio space we're opening what would be your ideal combo of live/work?

My example:

1)work 20 hours with base salary $40k (this could be studio admin, classes or working gallery events.

2) have free and full access to studio and equipment, only pay for clay/disposable s

3) Be able to sell in the gallery for reduced commission like 10% instead of 20%

What other fee for service do you wish were available to leave you more time to create and less time running a business?

Managing your social media?

Managing shipping?

Managing online sales?

9 hours ago, SloppyPotter said:

Managing your social media?

Managing shipping?

Managing online sales?

All of the above,  plus decent quality table top photography. 

I live in NH but if you're paying me 40K to be your superlative admin/gallery mgr., I'll start packing next week. :P

We have a co-op of shorts gallery in Town-I think its under 25-30 members-One central person got it going (I have never been a member but have known a few that came and went).

They sales are  made by rotating members  who work 1/2 or all day once a month. The gallery has you pay a monthly fee that can come out of sales or not. They get paid so rent gets paid.

No paid staff or employees -been running for at least a decade or two.

Its on the town square so it gets traffic and sales. No web or shipping services that I know about-only social media that folks want to do themselves.

Its a gift shop gallery.

These type of shops come and go and this one has been here a long while. It needs new members as old ones leave and our high artist population keeps new blood for it to go on.

Tough way to go I feel.I sell my suff in a shop next door

and have for a really long time so I see the gallery space every few weeks when I drop new goods off.

I was in a shop co-op twice one 40 plus years ago the other about 30+ years ago-to many pitfalls for me . I would never do another.But that me and I have lots of outlets

Thse days clay art centers are more common-maybe with a sales area some just work centers-they are everywhere.

I also have seen these fail alot as well.. This is not a good time to get one going.-my 2 cents

Archived