Conditioning China Paint Brushes

Hi B!

Hair brushes (made with real hair - hog, goat, sable, camel, squirrel, ox) may not behave well with water. There are water borne cleaning products that re-condition the hair somewhat; some folk use hair conditioner on their brushes (after thorough and careful cleaning).

I don't use mineral oil on my bristle brushes, however, I don't subject my best bristle brushes to water borne coatings. I'm referring to my trade tools, however; the brushes I use in the studio are inexpensive (cheap) and "chip" brushes (aka throw away).

Perhaps someone who uses quality art brushes will chime in here!

I went out and got a recommendation from a real artist, my brushes come with a Purdy label, a long roller sleeve or for more artistic, air power. Cleaning  those is a bit industrial  though. Well her suggested cleaner after a lifetime of brush art is the cleaner preserver:   “ The Masters Brush Cleaner And Preserver”.

For China paints she uses clove oil and lavender for a medium so really no issues with those using the medium to remove pigment. She does however have very special  China paint rules for independent brushes for gold, silver, very complicated actually with respect to  which one could touch the other etc...:D

D9FAD3BF-9726-4CC6-AE45-8AF082D81928.jpeg.a0a3dd7775d547ef0781de5999e22615.jpeg

Thanks for the input.  I washed with soap and water (duhhhh!!!).  This seems to have helped. 

I read about using hair conditioner.  So, I'll try this  and your "The Masters".   My concern  is oil and potential glaze havoc.

Bottom line is I should treat them nicer!  I do use disposable brushes for wax and latex application, but love the China brushes for various decorations using glazes, stains and slip!

Archived