Firing stoneware glazes with only 14h of electricity available during the day

OlgaBiff

Hi all,

I am quite new to ceramics. I want to instal an electric Nabertherm in a community of artist. They have a policy to shut off electricity at night when the last person leave the building for security reasons.

I think I might be able to complete my cone 8 schedule at peak temperature and I am not planning to enter a 4th segment to control the cooling.  Is it ok to cut electricity during cooling?

Many thanks

14 hours should be plenty if your kiln is in good working condition. The only time it would be a problem is if you wanted to do a preheat to dry out pots, as that will add several hours. However in that situation you could do the preheat one day and the firing the next.

Is there a reason you're firing to cone 8? I fired to cone 8 for a while, but found that there was nothing I could do at 8 that I couldn't do at cone 6. Plus here in the US, clay bodies are usually formulated for either cone 6 or cone 10, meaning at cone 8 your either under-firing or over-firing. Firing cooler will speed up the firing, reduce energy costs, make your elements last longer, and make your kiln bricks last longer.

When I was firing to cone 8, I found that firing to cone 6 with a 40 minute hold gave me a perfect cone 8, and increased element life by about 25%. So that may be an option for you as well.

Archived