low fire white satin glaze recipe

Sbernie

Looking for a white satin glaze recipe. It needs to be food safe. I want to use for dipping. I was Told that I could use a gallon of clear mat glaze and mix it with a white glaze. Is this true? I appreciate any and all suggestions. Thank you in advance.

You can add an o pacifier to clear glaze to color it. Common would be zircopax, tin, titanium dioxide, white mason stain. Zircopax is likely most economical but can metal mark due to its abrasive nature. White clay fires white obviously, white slip  and last but not least white underglaze comes to mind to which you just apply the clear over it.

All require testing, maybe go to www.Glazy.org and view some concentrations used in white glazes to get an idea of amounts of colorant to maybe begin your testing.

The bowl below is just clear over porcelain on the inside with a feather design painted in it. Lots of ways to do this actually

03E8B294-7F03-4304-8D35-B16F2C6093D4.jpeg

If you have an accurate set of scales I'ld add an opacifier to the clear instead of mixing it with the white glaze. I'ld suggest weighing up 200 grams of really well mixed glaze and add 14 zircopax to it. Dip a test tile just how you would dip a pot. Now add another 4 zircopax and dip another test tile. Add a further 4 grams of zircopax and dip a third tile. Repeat a fourth time by adding a further 4 grams of zircopax and dipping another test tile. Fire the test tiles and go from those results. If you don't like the look of the zircopax opacified white then consider using tin but use half the amounts for your tests. (tin is far more expensive than zircopax though)

Could work to mix the clear with the white glazes but in effect what you would be doing is diluting the strength of the opacifier in the white glaze by mixing it with a clear.

4 hours ago, Sbernie said:

. If I have a gallon of clear Matt glaze that is low fire, can I just add low fire white glaze to it? That is ok?

Just to add as others have pointed out, don’t try it on the whole gallon, do a measured test. When adding two glazes together your matte may turn out to be gloss as generally the ratio of si:al determines if the glaze is a true matte.
Mixing glazes You  likely have no decent way to calculate this using volumetric mixing. It can work however but adding opacifiers is generally more reliable. Just mix up tests that represent real measurements no matter what you try. It’s pretty easy to make 100g tests and then translate the results to any quantity when you find the one you like.

Archived