Jump to content

What is this?

Recommended Posts

I don't know what screen shots are but this looks like it might be used for baptism or used by the altar boy to serve wine to a priest during a long ceremony. Denice




Your idea is better than what it is suppose to be. But let's assume my reference is correct for the sake of the quiz.

One word in your suggestion can be used in the answer.

Screen shots are a way that you can search an image on Google.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think it is used to hold and pour water used for baptism.


Very beautiful.

Some churches have rather special vessels for holding baptism water, and some people are particular on where the water comes from (e.g. the river Jordan).


Link to comment
Share on other sites

The vessels are French and are called 'biberons' meaning bottles or drinking vessels, the word is now used to indicate 'baby bottles'. Babies could never have been fed from these ceramic vessels they would have been injured for sure.

The vessels are of the 16th century, of Saint Porchaire a region in France. There are only 60 pieces in the world. The exact location of the kilns and makers names are not exactly known however the ware has the provenance of royal association; the arms of Kings Henri II and Frances I, the High Constable Anne De Montmorency are located on the backs and bottoms of some of the ware.


This information is culled from- The Art of Ceramics; European Ceramic Design 1500-1830 by Howard Coutts

It is a good book with lots of color photos and interesting text.


Link to comment
Share on other sites


This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.