Assistance with Oxidation

Hello,

I recently moved to firing in a cone 6 electric kiln. I know that most electric kilns fire neutrally unless they are vented or have the lid propped open to introduce oxygen. However, how long do you introduce oxygen into the kiln during the glaze firing? Is there a general temperature range (from start of firing to end or fahrenheit range) to gauge how long you oxidize during glaze firings? Assistance would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

There are usually 3 or so small holes drilled in the cover. Air should get sucked through by the vent.

If you are looking to get nice crystallization effects, look into slow cooling.

That is what will make the difference in how your glazes look.

There are usually 3 or so small holes drilled in the cover. Air should get sucked through by the vent.

I am actually propping open the kiln lid and opening all the peep holes to introduce oxygen. Specifically, I am using the cross draft ventilation method (no vent).

I am actually propping open the kiln lid and opening all the peep holes to introduce oxygen. Specifically, I am using the cross draft ventilation method (no vent).

Archived