I would like to use underglaze techniques in Sean O'Connell's CLAYflicks video

M5Pots

I think I must have missed the firing temp and sequence of applying a clear glaze over the underglaze in Sean O'Connell's amazing clayflicks member video.

Specifically I like how the black velvet underglaze dots turn blue with streaking. 

What brand/type of clear is used, at what temp, and do you add the clear over underglaze at the bone dry stage or after the piece has been bisque? 

Thank you! Would love to give this effect a try. 

I believe he uses Campana's Clear Base and fires to cone 6. In the video he is using underglaze (and sometimes wax resist) on greenware which is then bisqued and glazed. I'ld send him an email and double check that this is the glaze he is using.

Campana’s Clear Base cone 5-7

11 Spodumene
21 Frit 3134
20 EPK
20 Silica
20 Wollastonite
8 Zinc Oxide

Welcome to the forum!

Thank you for looking into this. I sure appreciate it!

I had been learning to throw pots and dip glaze at my community college before the pandemic and have been trying to figure out how I can  glaze at home and send to a firing service.  It is necessary for me to do brush glazing with purchased glazes. 

I'm so glad I found ClayFlicks and your forum. 

It doesn't have to be that glaze specifically, but what you will need for those effects is a fluid glaze. If you use a stiff non moving glaze it isn't going to pull the cobalt from the black underglaze and cause the streaking. Make up some test tiles and try whichever commercial glazes you have, applying them a bit on the thick side will help it to run a bit too. (just not too thick or they will crawl)

Archived