Darvan 811 in casting slip

K DeBord

I am switching from SS and soda ash to Darvan 811 in my white (talc body) casting slip.  I make a batch with 50 lbs. Tenn. ball clay, 50 lbs. Kent. ball clay,  50 lbs. PV clay and 150 lbs. of talc,  and about 17 gallons water.   How much Darvan 811 do I need and do I dilute it?

If this is an open lowfire slip Darvan 811 might not be the best choice, from Vanderbilt Minerals: "DARVAN 811 is used in vitreous and semivitreous bodies, and in glazes. A slip deflocculated with DARVAN 811 provides the following advantages over the conventional soda-ash, sodium silicate system used to disperse ceramic bodies" Darvan 7 might be a better choice. 

On 11/23/2020 at 4:37 PM, Min said:

If this is an open lowfire slip Darvan 811 might not be the best choice, from Vanderbilt Minerals: "DARVAN 811 is used in vitreous and semivitreous bodies, and in glazes. A slip deflocculated with DARVAN 811 provides the following advantages over the conventional soda-ash, sodium silicate system used to disperse ceramic bodies" Darvan 7 might be a better choice. 

Archived