Peter Pugger VPM-30 air bubble issues?

Hi Everyone,

I have a newly inherited VPM-30. I recently cleaned it,  replaced all of the seals, and it seems to be working well. However, I am getting pretty good sized air bubbles in my pugged clay... I was hoping to do less wedging! I am only getting about 23# of pressure on my vacuum; could this be the problem? From doing a search and looking at previous conversations, I know I may be opening a can of worms about wedging vs. not wedging. But, I don't want to give up the dream! LOL :rolleyes: Also, while we are at it... what is everyone's average mix time? Thanks everyone, I am glad I stumbled into such a great community!

You will need to mix and during this period  the vacuum pump needs to get to around 27 inches of vacuum then pug at high vacuum.. The higher the number the better. If you are only getting to 23 inches, check for leaks. If you have a check valve (it should) check and clean as necessary. It only takes a small leak or worn vacuum pump. Are the filters clean on the pump? If not performance can be reduced considerably. Hoses and fittings can leak as well.

I use the same machine every week. You have a leak or a bad gauge as the vac pulls more than 23#  I’m in San Francisco and away from my machine to tell you the pressure.Back in a day and will report back. I have to push on the far right overflow cover to get a good vacuumed going. Clean the seals.   5 minutes should do most mixing and zero wedging. I rarely wedge

1 hour ago, Bill Kielb said:

You will need to mix and during this period  the vacuum pump needs to get to around 27 inches of vacuum then pug at high vacuum.. The higher the number the better. If you are only getting to 23 inches, check for leaks. If you have a check valve (it should) check and clean as necessary. It only takes a small leak or worn vacuum pump. Are the filters clean on the pump? If not performance can be reduced considerably. Hoses and fittings can leak as well.

Ooops, I don't think I have been mixing with the vacuum on and no I haven't checked the filter! Thanks @Bill Kielb

1 hour ago, Mark C. said:

I use the same machine every week. You have a leak or a bad gauge as the vac pulls more than 23#  I’m in San Francisco and away from my machine to tell you the pressure.Back in a day and will report back. I have to push on the far right overflow cover to get a good vacuumed going. Clean the seals.   5 minutes should do most mixing and zero wedging. I rarely wedge

Thank you, I have a new gauge and it looks like I am not using it correctly (vacuum while mixing!) You guys have given me some great feedback!

Archived