Wheel wobble...

Hello All, 

I'm new to the forums. I've been throwing for about 6 years. I took a six month break from throwing because of a move to a new state. I've  just got my studio setup with a new Shampoo VL-Whisper and finding that I'm having trouble centering. No problems coning up looks centered but when I go down and my hands are touching the bat or wheelhead. I get a horrible wobble. I can't figure why! I've never encountered this problem. I've checked all the usual suspects but can't figure it out. It's driving my bananas. I can't tell if I'm just out of practice or it's something else.  Any help would be greatly appreciate. Thank you! 

Hi Nar!

If your clay ball has a thick or thin spot it in, the clay won't flow evenly, particularly when the different bit is against the wheelhead/bat - wedge thoroughly (a lot!!) - and try again.

If your clay ball moves - even a lil' bit - on the wheelhead/bat, centering can be quite difficult, for it will likely move again; get it stuck on there good and allow a bit wider footprint, then be gentle in moving the clay about, such that it won't shift. Pay attention to the "skirt" - you'll see if there's a shift.

If the clay partially shears (from moving the clay aggressively) it will "remember" that shear, which you may find is difficult to overcome. Remove the clay, rewedge (dry it a bit, if necessary), start over!

If your clay has dried out a bit, moving the clay requires more time, persistence, patience - else shift and/or shear; on t'other hand, you get more working time. To go a bit softer, you might cut your clay into bread slices, mist each with a spray bottle, wedge, repeat. Be sure to thoroughly wedge before goin' back to work.

Hope your touch comes back (it will)!

Archived