Making a slip for casting

Genia R.

Hello! I'm trying to make my own slip for slip casting and was wondering if there is a good stoneware I can purchase to turn into slip? I have highwater buncombe white and fire to cone 6.  I'm trying to get all the properties right for turning it into slip but it doesn't seem to want to work.  Any suggestions would be great. I'd prefer a stoneware body that my glazes will be bright on (that's why I love the buncombe). I also don't have access to making my own slip body from scratch at the moment which is why I would prefer to purchase. 

Thanks in advance!

You should mix the dry ingredients and make your own.  It's not only 1/5th of the price, it ensures it'll work great.  

Throwing and hand building clays are formulated to be highly plastic, slips are minimally plastic to minimized the chance of clogging pores in plaster and having miscasts, as well as decreasing the time it takes to absorb into the walls.

I agree with Liam, throwing bodies don't always make good slip casting bodies. 

3 hours ago, Genia R. said:

I'm trying to get all the properties right for turning it into slip but it doesn't seem to want to work.

What have you tried? 

If you're going to make a slip from a throwing body, you need to find a body that is smooth. Any larger particles from grog or fireclay will tend to settle out in the mold, causing problems. The other problem is that you really need to start with powdered ingredients. If you're trying to dry out a moist body and use that it won't go well, no matter how small you break it up. The lower water content of a slip doesn't break down the chunks very well. But if you can get the clay body as a powder, then it is possible to make a successful casting slip from it. What problems are you having with the Buncombe?

Archived