Yet another relay question

Roberta12

During a bisque load, my L&L e23t threw an Err1 code.  I am waiting for the kiln to cool so I can unload it and do a paper test.  If I were a betting woman, I would bet on it being relay #1.  At this point I am only getting 45-60 firings on a relay.  I have reread everything I could find on the forum and on L&L website,  and we replaced #2 relay the end of July.  I asked my kiln guy (he lives in Oregon) why the relays are fizzling so quickly.  He said there are a lot of factors, heat, old wires, etc.  Or sometimes it just happens.  Because I live in a galaxy far far away, my husband and I do the repair ourselves.  I do have another relay on hand.  I also have wires and connectors.  If it turns out it is the relay, should we replace all the wires going from the relays as well?  My kiln guy suggested that would be the next step when I talked to him in July.  And reading through @neilestrick and @Bill Kielb posts and videos and comments, both of you mentioned heat being a factor for wear on relays.  I have a downdraft vent, in the summer I open the windows, but should I run an fan in the room with the kiln??  The kiln is in a 24x36 shop, insulated.  Direct wired.  

Thanks in advance.

Roberta

1 hour ago, neilestrick said:

If your relays aren't lasting several hundred firings in an L&L, then there's something wrong. Keeping the room cooled down will help, and also go ahead and replace the wires to and from the relays, as they can run hot when they get old. Wire is cheap.

should I just order the harnesses from L&L rather than making them ourselves??  The power control harness (if I have the right thing pulled up) is only $36  and the control wire harness is $59.  I should probably replace all of it, right??  

part-control-wire-harness-600.jpg?itok=f

part-power-wire-harness-3-section-600.jpg?itok=RRV3CazS

And Rob will know what I need.....

Roberta

1 hour ago, Roberta12 said:

The power control harness (if I have the right thing pulled up) is only $36  and the control wire harness is $59.  I should probably replace all of it, right??  

The control wire harness usually lasts forever it has very low voltage and current on it. The ends of the power control wires loosen and heat up which definitely makes the relays heat up and fail sooner. Just to note, I have on very infrequent occasion received new relays that had a manufacturing defect and consequently did not last very long. Relays are fairly cheap and for studio work with six electric kilns we keep a decent stock of them and change them often. Almost all last for hundreds of firings but occasionally we ru into a bad relay that does not. We also often diagnose relays before they go bad using a simple infrared thermometer. In a studio environment where kilns are operating 24/7 this helps with unwanted down time.

here is an old  sample video of the technique which relies on seeing the overheating And replacement.

Like Bill said the control wires last forever. You only need to replace the power wires that carry the full voltage and amperage.

When I've had bad relays they usually fry out in just a few firings, or even the first firing. If they die in a few dozen firings, then it's usually the wires.

Thanks @Bill Kielb  I actually watched that video earlier today.   It was helpful.  Turns out it was NOT the relay. Once the kiln cooled enough to unload the first thing I saw was the very top element, fried.  Apparently I knocked a piece of glaze onto the element and then it melted into the element holder.  I used the dremel to grind out the glaze from the channel and replaced the element, and it seems to be working well.  It's on target for a bisque firing right now. 

@neilestrick The power wires are the larger black wires, correct??  We replaced 2 of them 3 years ago.  ( I save all that stuff and label it) Maybe it is time for a clean sweep.  

Thank you to you both.

Roberta

Archived