Axner vs. Shimpo Jigger Arms

TabbyCat

Howdy!  I'm a production artist currently using slipcasting, but would like to switch to jigger/jolly.  I'm trying to decide between the only 2 that seem to be available on the market: Axner and Shimpo, and wonder if anyone has any preference or knowledge of the differences between the two in terms of ease of use, durability, or anything else I'm not thinking of. 

I'll be using for cylindrical forms, so mostly jollying.  

Thanks!

We mostly are potters here not jiggering folks

I know of of two friend who just made their  own (they are very simple)

looking at the two you talked about the axner is a better one-made in USA and parts are available .Better design as well.
The Jolly Jigger was the standard for years and you can find them used if you look.

thanks, mark.  i noticed that there are not a lot of production folks here, but i thought i'd give it a shot.  not many forums dedicated to production work that i could find!

i'm leaning toward the axner...looked for the jolly jigger but couldn't find it anywhere.

thanks again!

• 6 months later...

TabbyCat,

Actually many of us who do production have also used jiggering and jollying methods with or without the arms or machines. Any time you use a formed plaster bat to repeat your favorite shape you have essentially done the same thing. Some use a rod and call it the "Rod and Re-stand" method. ;) Those of us who prefer to consider ourselves purists and would never use a machine to do what our skill and memory do miss the fact that our skill and memory become the jiggering and jollying arm ;) lol But long story short... I hope :) The two you mention Axner Power Arm and the Shimpo Jigger Arm really are the only two I am aware of on the market today. Both are great I have messed around with them a bit over the years. Shimpo's is actually really more designed for their wheels and lacks the flexibility to attach to other wheels. So unless you have a Shimpo wheel Axner would be a better fit. Here is a group of potters that focuses on both the arms you mentioned and a few there that have made their own. If you are looking for lots of production hundreds to thousands Sheila Jenkins who owns the site would tell you it isn't worth the saving to make your own to get a good arm... www.pureandsimplepottery.com Pure and Simple Pottery. There are many production potters that use jiggering and jollying arms out there. Jono Pandolfi a well known production potter uses the Shimpo Jigger Arm - https://www.jonopandolfi.com/  He was featured in Eater Magazine and other publications in October 2019. https://www.eater.com/young-guns-rising-stars/2019/10/23/20914797/jono-pandolfi-ceramics-handmade-for-restaurants-career-path-advice. Maybe if you are still following you will find these resources helpful. Keep throwing the mud!  Dan Goddard, Potter, Sculptor, and Multi Media :) www.dangoddard.com

• 10 months later...
On 2/8/2021 at 12:12 AM, judahsgate said:

TabbyCat,

Actually many of us who do production have also used jiggering and jollying methods with or without the arms or machines. Any time you use a formed plaster bat to repeat your favorite shape you have essentially done the same thing. Some use a rod and call it the "Rod and Re-stand" method. ;) Those of us who prefer to consider ourselves purists and would never use a machine to do what our skill and memory do miss the fact that our skill and memory become the jiggering and jollying arm ;) lol But long story short... I hope :) The two you mention Axner Power Arm and the Shimpo Jigger Arm really are the only two I am aware of on the market today. Both are great I have messed around with them a bit over the years. Shimpo's is actually really more designed for their wheels and lacks the flexibility to attach to other wheels. So unless you have a Shimpo wheel Axner would be a better fit. Here is a group of potters that focuses on both the arms you mentioned and a few there that have made their own. If you are looking for lots of production hundreds to thousands Sheila Jenkins who owns the site would tell you it isn't worth the saving to make your own to get a good arm... www.pureandsimplepottery.com Pure and Simple Pottery. There are many production potters that use jiggering and jollying arms out there. Jono Pandolfi a well known production potter uses the Shimpo Jigger Arm - https://www.jonopandolfi.com/  He was featured in Eater Magazine and other publications in October 2019. https://www.eater.com/young-guns-rising-stars/2019/10/23/20914797/jono-pandolfi-ceramics-handmade-for-restaurants-career-path-advice. Maybe if you are still following you will find these resources helpful. Keep throwing the mud!  Dan Goddard, Potter, Sculptor, and Multi Media :) www.dangoddard.com

Thanks Judahsgate. I've been following and your post really helps. There's a video on youtube of Deb Schwartz instructing pn what is, according to someone's comment, a Shimpo jolly.

As to the purists, there are a few too many  quick to judge (you're not one of them btw). I'm 61, love to play with clay, have a bad shoulder and live on a remote  island in a country where the people are chilly vs. chill. No  pottery teachers. I'm, trying to find out if the 2 methods will give me a method I can use with success. Thanks again.

Archived