Has anyone tried making ceramic covers for mason jars using the screw on ring as a base?

I have been watching a lot of Youtube videos that show how to make wooden covers that at glued onto the metal rings for Mason jars.  I thought it might be a fun thing to do using clay.  I know the clay will shrink when it  is dried and baked in

the kiln.  Is there a mathamatical  equation for the shrinkage?

1 hour ago, Barbsbus 4 fun said:

I have been watching a lot of Youtube videos that show how to make wooden covers that at glued onto the metal rings for Mason jars.  I thought it might be a fun thing to do using clay.  I know the clay will shrink when it  is dried and baked in

the kiln.  Is there a mathamatical  equation for the shrinkage?

You make a quarter inch thick bar 100mm long and fire it.  It will shrink, measure in mm after to see it's shrinkage percentage

I have an online friend who makes frogs for arranging flowers in Mason jars like this. As long as you know your clay’s shrinkage, they’re pretty straightforward. Wide mouth jars are 84 or 85mm (I forget off the top), so making a 100mm diameter circle template with a clay body that has 15% shrinkage should work. 

On 7/20/2020 at 8:24 PM, Callie Beller Diesel said:

I have an online friend who makes frogs for arranging flowers in Mason jars like this. As long as you know your clay’s shrinkage, they’re pretty straightforward. Wide mouth jars are 84 or 85mm (I forget off the top), so making a 100mm diameter circle template with a clay body that has 15% shrinkage should work. 

Thanks.  I like the idea of making the screw on  tops into frogs for flower arrangements.  I have been making some smaller ones that just sit on the top of jars or glasses.  I used a round cookie cutter, textured the clay and poked holes .  They were fun to make and my friends loved them.  Makes an inexpensive gift and a nice way to give a small bouquet of flowers or herbs.  I like to make them as table decorations and also place settings that my guest take home.

Archived