Best brush on transparent glaze for Limoges earthenware slip body.

Abmid73

Hi, Please can anyone suggest a good brush on transparent glaze I can use on a Limoges earthenware Slip body that has an expansion rate of 0.37 @ 500c. Firing range 1060-1100c.
I believe it is a talc based body, but sorry, I don’t know anymore than that.
I have bought a low sol Matt and a low expansion transparent brush on glaze which are waiting to go in the kiln. But honestly I really don’t know what I should be looking for?
I’ve had problems with shivering using mid temp Transparent lead less dipping glaze (Sadly I don’t know what it’s made from (apart from it contains zinc) or it’s expansion rate as it’s pre made when bought.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks Ali  

Hi Ali!

Your clay matures ~cone 02, hence your glaze selection should match up in terms of firing range.

You might get a specific recommendation from someone who uses (or had used) the same exact clay, else something very similar, hence, identification is key.

The vendor may have suggestions?

From there, testing! Whilst you may have some luck just casting about - trying commercial premix to find something that fits - a stepwise/methodical approach should lead you to a glaze fit, and useful experience/knowledge along the way. With glaze recipes and glaze calc software on hand, and firing results in front of you, choose one (or more) to modify, test again.

Along the way, you may choose to try out some other clays as well. The coe numbers that glaze calculation software generates, while useful, aren't necessarily absolute, per my experience.

If starting over, I'd still choose to mix my own glazes, and try several clays.

Unfortunately, commercial glazes don't publish their expansion rate, so unless someone has used that particular clay body, it's impossible to make a suggestion other than to start testing various glazes until you find something that works. Because of the firing range of your clay body, you should be testing low fire glazes, those which recommend firing temps of cone 04/05.

Archived