Genisis with SSR

ronfire

When a Genesis controller is set for SSR do you have to change the cycle time  or does it default to a set time?

Will start to assemble my wall controller today  and program it. Wish I could find an Current sensor to add to it that was not $34.00 usd. Can't find any listings for it in Canada or find the parts required to build one on Digi-Key.

4 hours ago, ronfire said:

When a Genesis controller is set for SSR do you have to change the cycle time  or does it default to a set time?

Definitely call Bartlett, they may suggest additional modifications to parameters.
The genesis model has a Specific programming point for SSR Which defaults to 500 milliseconds when set.  Tech manual here about 2/3 of the way through settings, so you know how to get to the hidden menu function. https://binst.s3.amazonaws.com/uploads/manual/asset_path/224/Genesis_-_Technical_Manual.pdf

Just to add any 50amp current transformer should work as long as you can get its output to 5volts. So a 50 amp core with 1 volt output would need 5 wraps of the load wire through it to register 5 volts at 50 amps actual draw.

8 hours ago, Bill Kielb said:

Just to add any 50amp current transformer should work as long as you can get its output to 5volts. So a 50 amp core with 1 volt output would need 5 wraps of the load wire through it to register 5 volts at 50 amps actual draw.

Lost me,  I have seen the cores that work with 50 amps but don't understand how to make  them work without the attached circuit board. Have only been able to find the current sensors for the Skutt and Bartlett controllers. Little over my knowledge base.

Have seen the section how to set the controller for SSR  but have not seen anything about the cycle time with SSR other than the 500 milliseconds, will give Bartlett a call on Monday

So if I understand this right the Current transformer will developed output voltage when the power is sent down the monitored line. The more amps the more power output from the transformer. So if I chose the correct one  (CR8420-1000) would produce 5.2 vac max at 50 amp,  would this allow me to connect directly to the genesis controller?  Cant be as simple as that?

If so why do they sell the ones for the kilns with a circuit board attached? 

1096087913_ScreenShot2020-07-12at7_04_48AM.png.2354ce3256e7d9ec15b33cb56e9ed823.png

19 hours ago, Bill Kielb said:

Starting to understand . So if you have a transformer with 1volt output you could wrap 5 times to get 5 volt output like the attached diagram.

This is turning into an electronics course. lol

1865152028_ScreenShot2020-07-12at7_28_44AM.png.29146c75fa41194a21bb7ef46f640639.png

7 minutes ago, ronfire said:

So if I understand this right the Current transformer will developed output voltage when the power is sent down the monitored line. The more amps the more power output from the transformer. So if I chose the correct one  (CR8420-1000) would produce 5.2 vac max at 50 amp,  would this allow me to connect directly to the genesis controller?  Cant be as simple as that?

If so why do they sell the ones for the kilns with a circuit board attached? 

No idea why they do what they do. If their input is 0- 5 volts then any current coil with that output should work. If the factory model is attached to a circuit board and the board is powered from the kin, and not passive then maybe they are generating a 0-5 v output through a voltage divider of sorts to represent the Measured Current. Examining the input specs should reveal what they expect, but just buying one from them seems easiest actually than speculating. As a parameter it looks like the current sensor max amperage is a programmable number. Just get their stuff, no issues to figure out.

Thanks Neil, learned something new in electronics.  I like building stuff but am not an electronic wiz but manage the basics. 

I am in the process of building the wall controller, still need to connect to the power and the kiln but the box is done and mounted.

61134091_ScreenShot2020-07-12at6_16_47PM.png.59c3198624551cfe15c9cf354af186c7.png

Archived