Will Greenware Porcelain Get Stuck To Stoneware?

Hello, I need to use a fireproof platform to use to load a large porcelain sculpture into a gas kiln. My idea was that I could make a slab out of stoneware, fire it, then build the sculpture on that and use it to pull the sculpture into the kiln. The stoneware slab doesn’t need to last two firings, I just need to use it to get the sculpture into the kiln. Would the cone 6 porcelain stick to the cone 6 stoneware when it is being fired, or should it be fine?

Thanks,

Callum

Cordierite kiln shelves are easy to drill through with a masonry bit, or cut to size with a circular saw and a cutting wheel, and they're pretty inexpensive. Trying to make a large stoneware slab that's thick enough and flat enough to do the job will be incredibly difficult.

11 minutes ago, Callum Donovan-Grujicich said:

I can’t find a kiln shelf large enough that doesn’t cost hundreds of dollars, so that’s not an option. My only question now is: will greenware porcelain fuse to once-fired stoneware in the kiln?

Might pluck, yes.

But it might do that with a normal shelf too.

I'm guessing you haven't tried to make and fire a large flat object before, because it seems really easy, but is actually frustratingly difficult lol.  I would try to find some other way to transport it.  Maybe a piece of plywood or something.  You haven't really told us what the reason for your question is.

Also. You can get 50cm square kiln shelves for 20-30 usd,

2 minutes ago, liambesaw said:

Might pluck, yes.

But it might do that with a normal shelf too.

I'm guessing you haven't tried to make and fire a large flat object before, because it seems really easy, but is actually frustratingly difficult lol.  I would try to find some other way to transport it.  Maybe a piece of plywood or something.  You haven't really told us what the reason for your question is.

Basically I need to slide the sculpture into a gas kiln, and if I didn’t use a hard base, the bottom of the sculpture would get damaged. I won’t use a kiln shelf because they are too expensive, and the person who is firing the sculpture will not allow any plywood in the kiln. I also have a lot of leftover stoneware clay, so I wanted to make a base out of that, then fire it and build the sculpture on it.

1 hour ago, Callum Donovan-Grujicich said:

Basically I need to slide the sculpture into a gas kiln, and if I didn’t use a hard base, the bottom of the sculpture would get damaged. I won’t use a kiln shelf because they are too expensive, and the person who is firing the sculpture will not allow any plywood in the kiln. I also have a lot of leftover stoneware clay, so I wanted to make a base out of that, then fire it and build the sculpture on it.

I thought you already built the sculpture? Or are we talking about a different one?

Make some coils out of clay, and use them as rollers to slide the piece into the kiln. If you make them nice and even, they would also be a good base for the sculpture to sit on during bisque, as they would allow the piece to move.

HERE is an example of a shelf that would work for you. Making a slab that size that stayed flat enough would be a major endeavor.

Archived