Hanging ceramic bas relief

I'm just about finished carving a piece that I will want to hang when it's done.  Assuming I still like it then! It measures 11"x11" and is 1" thick at the most.

Anyway, while I've been busy carving away I've been thinking about what I should make on the back to hang it from before I let it dry and bisque fire it. Well...  it's come to that point being still leather hard. I prefer not making any holes through it (front to back) which I'd  insert wire to hang the piece Instead I wonder what I could attach to the back that would do the trick.  I would love to hear your suggestions. Thanks.

IMG_0066.jpeg.c3794802dc7070ecf731613a1177570f.jpeg

1 hour ago, tinypieces said:

I'm just about finished carving a piece that I will want to hang when it's done.  Assuming I still like it then! It measures 11"x11" and is 1" thick at the most.

Anyway, while I've been busy carving away I've been thinking about what I should make on the back to hang it from before I let it dry and bisque fire it. Well...  it's come to that point being still leather hard. I prefer not making any holes through it (front to back) which I'd  insert wire to hang the piece Instead I wonder what I could attach to the back that would do the trick.  I would love to hear your suggestions. Thanks.

IMG_0066.jpeg.c3794802dc7070ecf731613a1177570f.jpeg

Normally I would suggest embedding a nichrome wire looped for hanging but too late for that. I have epoxied D rings without using the screw to  a finished product with a good epoxy, no worry of failure done this way. When I have done this it allowed me to find the exact center prior to glueing. I also started to install felt pads at the bottom corners which made it less  likely to scratch the wall.

It’s one idea!

C092732E-0E4E-4B7E-8DFC-723FABAB51D8.jpeg

9 minutes ago, Bill Kielb said:

Normally I would suggest embedding a nichrome wire looped for hanging but too late for that. 

I'm curious @Bill Kielb why you said it's too late to embed a nichrome wire loop/s to hang from. When would you attach them and how would you embed them?

2 minutes ago, tinypieces said:

I'm curious @Bill Kielb why you said it's too late to embed a nichrome wire loop/s to hang from. When would you attach them and how would you embed them?

Just got the impression that  you thought it was too dry at this point to be embedding anything and risking it.

Thanks @Bill Kielb... it's still leather hard and I've kept it covered in plastic spritzing it every now and then anticipating the attachment of some type of hanging device.

Thanks @neilestrick... I'm sort of surprised to hear you suggest using construction adhesive Neil. I say that because prior to posting my questions I  searched this site and came across a similar discussion (2/13)  in which you commented. In it you said that you would not trust adhesives because they will fail at some point. And that mechanical methods are a better solution. Have you changed your mind?  I've heard good things about PC-7 or PC-11... any opinion?

More questions....

Is leather hard too late to make an effective hanger or something to 'attach' to the back or am I just asking for trouble?

What kind of wood backing would you suggest? A piece of plywood running just shy of the width  of the piece?

33 minutes ago, tinypieces said:

Thanks @Bill Kielb... it's still leather hard and I've kept it covered in plastic spritzing it every now and then anticipating the attachment of some type of hanging device.

Thanks @neilestrick... I'm sort of surprised to hear you suggest using construction adhesive Neil. I say that because prior to posting my questions I  searched this site and came across a similar discussion (2/13)  in which you commented. In it you said that you would not trust adhesives because they will fail at some point. And that mechanical methods are a better solution. Have you changed your mind?  I've heard good things about PC-7 or PC-11... any opinion?

More questions....

Is leather hard too late to make an effective hanger or something to 'attach' to the back or am I just asking for trouble?

What kind of wood backing would you suggest? A piece of plywood running just shy of the width  of the piece?

IMO - True epoxy is structural and won’t dry out. We actually design with it, it’s cheap and exceeds the sheer strength of most everything else while sticking well to most everything. A proven performer in industry for over twenty years. My opinion, I would use epoxy on anything you want to last a lifetime.

Archived