Kiln Venting Requirements

Hello, I have been looking for a kiln to use for sculptures for some time now, and I have recently found a $150 used kiln for sale. I would like to buy this kiln, however I have a problem concerning venting. The only place I could put the kiln without spending hundreds of dollars for rewiring is in a room with  no access to venting to outdoors. I therefore had an idea, but I don’t know if it is either safe or logical. Could I connect a downdraft venting system to the kiln, then have the air blow into a hepa air purifier? My idea was then that the air purifier could then clean the air from the kiln and expel clean air into the room. Please let me know if this would be a safe practise.

Thanks,

Callum 

I wouldn't trust it. First, it would likely diminish the effectiveness of the vent- it's just not made to be blowing through a  very fine filter. Second, without actually doing it, there's no way of knowing how quickly the filter will clog up. Will it last through an entire firing? Probably depends on what you've got in your kiln. Wax, glaze binders, etc, are all going to create a lot of fumes. Third, there are also non-particulate gases burning out that a filter just won't catch.

Tell us about the room. Why can't you get to the exterior?

Archived