Type K to Type S

1 hour ago, Brandon Franks said:

I have a three zone kiln and a Bartlett genesis controler (programmed to Type K readings)

Can I switch to type S one thermocouple at a time without messing with any controller readings or is that impossible?

I don’t believe so. Either all type K or all type S, so no mixing and matching I believe.  So you still could configure as single zone with one type S. Why the change though, K’s are economical.

1 hour ago, liambesaw said:

I think he's doing crystalline firings, so maybe the type S will be a little more resilient and accurate?  No idea.

Two of my thermocouples died in my past bisque - both had 13 firings on them...

My therms. are 8 inches too, so to replace them its like $35-50 for each one.

12 hours ago, Bill Kielb said:

I don’t believe so. Either all type K or all type S, so no mixing and matching I believe.  So you still could configure as single zone with one type S. Why the change though, K’s are economical.

Crystalline causes havoc on everything inside the kiln :wacko: I average 14 firings (half bisque)  for a thermocouple and like 22 (again, half bisque)  firings for elements.

1 minute ago, Brandon Franks said:

Two of my thermocouples died in my past bisque - both had 13 firings on them...

My therms. are 8 inches too, so to replace them its like $35-50 for each one.

Yikes, I just get the cheap ones! 15-20 a piece on the eBay, seem to work great.  Maybe you got a couple duds?

Just now, liambesaw said:

Yikes, I just get the cheap ones! 15-20 a piece on the eBay, seem to work great.  Maybe you got a couple duds?

I think it's my ramps and holds that do them in. Some of my firings are like 6 hrs at around 2000^f (longer at the and of the elements life)

I was never able to find 8 inches on Ebay, I usually get them from TheCeramicShop (I think they are $15 there), but they were sold out last time I ordered.

6 minutes ago, Brandon Franks said:

I think it's my ramps and holds that do them in. Some of my firings are like 6 hrs at around 2000^f (longer at the and of the elements life)

I was never able to find 8 inches on Ebay, I usually get them from TheCeramicShop (I think they are $15 there), but they were sold out last time I ordered.

You can buy longer and cut them from the backside. Not sure if that helps, I think I just buy 10’s or 12’s and cut to length. Also are they covered now or open air? Open air will definitely go away quicker depending on  the composition of fumes in the firing.

9 minutes ago, Brandon Franks said:

These ones are total length of 8.5", with 6 inches of beads, don't know if that works for you or not. https://www.ebay.com/itm/High-Temperature-K-Type-Thermocouple-Sensor-for-Ceramic-Furnace-1300-2372-P/184193029762?_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item2ae2c29682:g:OtMAAOSwk2JcyBQB

Just now, Bill Kielb said:

You can buy longer and cut them from the backside. Not sure if that helps, I think I just buy 10’s or 12’s and cut to length. Also are they covered now or open air? Open air will definitely go away quicker depending on  the composition of fumes in the firing.

They are open air, I bought a bunch of covers, but for some reason they didn't fit. I am now wondering if I just got a batch that was warped.

How do you cut them? They seem pretty stiff, do wire cutters work or do you need a saw?

2 minutes ago, liambesaw said:

Looks good, I will buy one to test with.

Thanks!

Just now, Brandon Franks said:

They are open air, I bought a bunch of covers, but for some reason they didn't fit. I am now wondering if I just got a batch that was warped.

How do you cut them? They seem pretty stiff, do wire cutters work or do you need a saw?

I use lineman’s pliers, but I was an electrician early in life so I also use my lineman’s pliers as a hammer. A decent set of wire cutters or small bolt cutter or hacksaw just fine.

THESE. Anyone who replaces their own elements should have a set. They work so much better than regular wire cutter for cutting heavy stuff like element pigtails and thermocouples.

I would get protection tubes for your thermocouples. They will pay for themselves.  Also make sure you get the heavy 8ga thermocouples. Most of the cheap ones are really thin and won't last long at all. Here's a test L&L did, and they got 139 cone 10 firings with 8ga TC in a protection tube. So even with your long holds at 2000F I would expect a lot more than 14 firings.

Archived