Whistle/ocarina problem

Dear all, I am trying to make a whistle/ocarina with several holes. I make a whistle, it makes perfect sound. But as soon as I make additional hole(s), there is no sound at all. I know that the wind hole needs to be ajusted somehow but I am unable to work out how. Does anyone know? Thank you very much in advance. Klara

Something must be moving as you make your holes. In the whistle part, the blade that cuts the wind must be lined up just right with the air flow in order to make a sound. It only takes a tiny change to ruin the sound. Try adjusting it up or down to get it aligned. Where are you putting the holes in relation to the whistle hole?

I used to make ocarina's, flutes and whistles while teaching, has been years. However, you may find some stuff here to help you out.

https://ceramicartsnetwork.org/daily/pottery-making-techniques/handbuilding-techniques/how-to-make-a-ceramic-ocarina/

Also as Neil has said sometimes when making the holes something may happen to the first whistle hole. Another thing that could happen is burrs on the inside of the ocarina when making the second hole. Try not to punch, but to cut the hole to have as clean a hole as possible. When you have problems go back and re check the mouth piece and the first hole to make certain they are clean.

best of luck,

Pres

Archived