Slip painting on terra Sig is smudging after cone 04 bisque

Hello,  I am just starting to use low fire red clay that I’m covering with terra sigilata when it is bone dry.  I am then buffing and painting on it with a black slip that I have made put together.   I bisqued fired it to cone 04.  It came out  beautifully but the black slip  is smudging.  Does anyone have any thoughts.  Perhaps the recipe for the slip needs to be changed?  Thank you for your help.

7 minutes ago, MaineMorrisPottery said:

Hello,  I am just starting to use low fire red clay that I’m covering with terra sigilata when it is bone dry.  I am then buffing and painting on it with a black slip that I have made put together.   I bisqued fired it to cone 04.  It came out  beautifully but the black slip  is smudging.  Does anyone have any thoughts.  Perhaps the recipe for the slip needs to be changed?  Thank you for your help.

Can you post a picture of it?  Maybe put the slip on under the sigilata, since the burnished sigilata isn't really a receptive surface? Just spitballin

So the black slip is actually more of a stain than a slip since it only contains a very very tiny amount of clay in the crocus martis.  I really don't know if there's much to do about it moving or smudging, in can't really tell that there's any obvious smudging in the pictures.  

In fact that piece looks really beautiful

You may just need to wash the unfluxed stain off of the pot, I bet it will still be quite black.

Either that or you can use something with more gerstley that will melt onto the clay body more readily, or paint it on under the terra sig before it's burnished.  

By the way, that black stain recipe is super high concentration, you could probably have black stain for the rest of your life using that quite dilute

Archived