glaze recipe for fermentation crock

NancyE

A durable clear or white gloss glaze fired to maturity would be the safest, no heavy metal colourants to leach out then. The clay you use and cone you fire to will make a difference. Glaze that fits one claybody doesn't necessarily fit another. If you use glaze calculation software you can have a look at how much alumina and silica are in the glaze, having plenty of those helps make a durable glaze. Also, not overloading the glaze with boron makes a glaze more durable than one that is. If you have a glaze recipe that fits your clay without crazing then post it here (if you don't use glaze calc) and someone can likely run it through their program to have a look at it for you.

Thank you Min for your advice.  The more serious I become about my clay work, the more I am realizing the rather freewheeling off the wall approach I have taken for the last 40 years will not allow me to accomplish what I want to do now.  So I think I need to look into a glaze calculator.  I am working in a very isolated  situation with no good contact with fellow artist, so I am glad I finally got up the nerve to try out the forum, and I am excited by the friendliness and generosity of everyone who will share their advice and knowledge.  Thanks again,

Nancy

@NancyE, have a look at Glazy, it's free and it's a good source of materials info and for getting info on an existing glaze recipe, either one you can enter yourself or one already posted. Plunk in your search parameters on the left side of the screen and see what comes up. On their Help Index there are videos on how to create and adjust recipes etc. I don't know how much you know but the analysis chart that comes with each glaze recipe gives a lot of info. Having an idea of what the glaze materials actually contribute to a glaze is a big part of understanding glazes. Play around with a recipe, add and decrease one of the materials and see what it does to the analysis. What you don't find explained there can often be found on the Digitalfire website and of course you can always ask for help here too.

Archived