Firing Coloured Slip

Hi, i have just got my own kiln so want to try some experimenting with different glazes. Can anyone tell me if I use a coloured slip to decroate my greenware, can this touch other items in the kiln or does the colour run? i.e. can i stack them on top or do they need to sit separate? Thanks in advance 

you are talking about 3 different things.  one at a time, yes, if you make slip with the clay body you are using and just add color, you are still only working with clay.  clay can touch clay.    clay does not run.  yes, look at previous posts about tumble stacking.

now, glaze is a whole different thing.  read lots of info available about glazes in books, posts here and anywhere else you can.  just remember that glaze sticks to anything it touches when heated to its melting point.   separate glaze from anything you do not want stuck to your piece.  

may i suggest that you change the title of your question so someone later can find it when they have questions about glaze?

20 hours ago, emilya80 said:

Hi, i have just got my own kiln so want to try some experimenting with different glazes. Can anyone tell me if I use a coloured slip to decroate my greenware, can this touch other items in the kiln or does the colour run? i.e. can i stack them on top or do they need to sit separate? Thanks in advance 

They won’ stick together, but it’s possible for the colored slip to transfer colors to other pots if they are touching during the bisque fire. I use dark clay and sometimes decorate with white slip. I like to stack things together for bisque firing, to save space. Sometimes the dark clay does transfer onto white slipped areas. In my case, my finished glazed pots have a lot of texture, so the dark clay smudges just blend in. If you are going for a look that is precise and clean, then it might matter. It all depends! And test test test if you want to know the answers for sure. 

• neilestrick changed the title to Firing Coloured Slip

Archived