Troubles With Slip

Hi! I need some help!! I just got a gallon of porcelain slip. When I started using it, it was too thin and runny for me. My slip trailing wasn’t working, and all of the slip just kept dripping. So I decided to thicken it up. I put some epsom salts in water and made sure they were dissolved. I then add 2 spoonfuls of the water to the slip. Now the slip is a little too thick, but I really like this consistency. But, there seem to be clumps in the slip. It is no longer smooth. Does this mean I just need to mix it a lot to get the clumps out? How would I thin it again in the future?

Hannah:

premixed slip uses Darvan 7 or equal as a long chain deflocculant. This type of ionic polymer works by neutralizing sodium and magnesium ions. When you added Epson salts: you added magnesium strearate which disrupted that chemical suspension which caused flocs (clumps) to form. Adding sodium silicate, epson salts (magnesium) causes a chemical reaction. In the future, to thicken it- it is best to add dry powdered clay you recycled from throwing, dried slip or whatever source you can recycle from. 

T

Sieving will get rid of the lumps long enough to work with it for a session, but you’ll have to remix or resieve the next time you go to use the same batch.  
+1 for either adding more dry material or leaving some out the night before to thicken rather than trying to adjust with Epsom salts. Having less water in the mix can also help your slip not shrink as much.

Archived