What to do about absorption, pinging, crazing

Good evening, I am a newbie and have some questions, I’m hoping to get some help with. First, I really like the amaco glazes, but I’m having a hard time finding a compatible clay body. I get pinging with laguna b-mix. Amaco A-mix has an absorption of 7%.  I have spent a lot of money on amaco glazes. Does any one have any recommendations or advice on a white clay body without grog, that I can use to prevent pinging/crazing with a absorption of less that 3% at ^6 ? Thanks

8 minutes ago, NostalgicCeramics said:

Good evening, I am a newbie and have some questions, I’m hoping to get some help with. First, I really like the amaco glazes, but I’m having a hard time finding a compatible clay body. I get pinging with laguna b-mix. Amaco A-mix has an absorption of 7%.  I have spent a lot of money on amaco glazes. Does any one have any recommendations or advice on a white clay body without grog, that I can use to prevent pinging/crazing with a absorption of less that 3% at ^6 ? Thanks

You'll have to get away from the "mix" bodies.  

What part of the country do you live in, and what is offered at your local pottery supply place?  I think the porcelaineous clay bodies like amix and bmix and seamix and such will all have that low expansion issue with amaco glazes.  A good old fashioned stoneware may be your best bet (and as a plus, they're easier to work with than bmix!)

19 minutes ago, NostalgicCeramics said:

I was just looking at the Rocky Mountain Clay in Dover

If it's this one then no I wouldn't even bother testing it. It's rated as a cone 5 -10 body with 1% (+/- 1%) absorption. I'm assuming this figure is for cone 10 which means it would more than likely leak at the temps you fire the cone 6 Amaco glazes at. 

I get my clay from Stoneleaf Pottery in Denver. Arvada actually.  West side of Denver.  They are very helpful and knowledgeable.  I love the people at Continental clay but they have a lot of clay bodies that have a wide range for temp firing.  I have tried to dial it in more closely.  I use a lot of Laguna clay and I have tried some Rocky Mountain clay, most recently Ash.  It's a nice, easy to throw, off white stoneware.  You can get that from Stoneleaf Clay in Denver.  But not sure if that is close to you or not!

Roberta

35 minutes ago, NostalgicCeramics said:

Actually yes! That is where I am currently picking up my clay. Do you know how the ash does with the amaco glazes? Thanks you, thank you!

I do not since I mix most of my glazes from scratch.  But it did quite well with underglazes and then clear over it.  The people at Stoneleaf are very knowledgeable.  They should be able to answer questions.  I mostly use Laguna #16 which is a porcelain and Laguna Speckled Buff which is a brown speckly stoneware and Laguna RSMC which is a milk choc brown stoneware.  Stoneleaf has a proprietary white stoneware called Whitestone.  Sometimes it is too groggy for my projects, but it is a very well functioning clay.  All of the clays I mentioned are midfire.  I fire to cone 6.  Message me if you have other Stoneleaf Pottery questons.

Roberta

Archived