Kiln hire

Sarah M

Hello all

So I'm a bit behind on an order for xmas, I'm looking at hiring a kiln for a glaze firing to catch up but was a bit worried that I've not used it before will they be dramatically different? They're for individual people so I dont mind too much if they're not precisely the same just close enough. I'm using two different glazes one commercial and one I made

Thanks in advance!

I’m not sure I understand your question. Are we comparing  kiln firings or the glazes? Have you successfully fired these items before and are expecting a certain result. Have you successfully fired both glazes and confirmed their look and fit to your Claybody?

If you are simply using someone else’s kiln and know your result, try and make sure these are fired with the successful schedule you have fired with before to get the look you are expecting. Using the same schedule you have been successful with I would expect reasonably similar results using a reasonably similar size kiln. There are often variations and certainly gas firing as opposed to electric firing will likely look different.

It all depends on the size of the kiln and the calibration of the thermocouples. Different sizes of kilns will cool at different rates, which may cause glazes to look different. Like Bill said, though, if they're of similar size the differences should be minor if you use the same firing schedule.

Archived