New slab roller review

CactusPots

I like it.

More specifically, I think the slab roller slab is superior to the hand roll slab.  When making a large slab with a rolling pin, I found it necessary to occasionally lift the slab off the canvas covered table I work on.  The rolling pin tends to push the clay down into the canvas, adhering the clay to the canvas.  The slab roller on the other hand, pushes the clay along the surface of the canvas.    It seems to me the slab roller slab is just better to work with.  Of course there is no variation in thickness with the slab roller.  Even after years of practice and a selection of thickness guides for the rolling pin, I never was able to make as perfect of a slab.  Especially big slabs.  This really comes into play when joining slabs, as a box, for instance.  The other big advantage is that I can get another perfectly similar slab with very little effort.  This plays in when considering a construction that requires multiple slabs.  Less consideration about the amount of setup time for slabs.

In conclusion, 

IF you have space for it

IF you want to be a versatile craftsman.

IF you're at the point to invest the cash.

Then you really should get a slab roller. 

Bailey DRD 2 30"

Built a separate table for the slab roller, 2ft of work space, on lifting casters and a 6 ft work table to catch.  Formica and ply top.  The 30" is over kill, of course, but I had room for it so it seemed like the obvious choice.   Might have gone with the DRD, but the $200 shipping scared me off.

Thanks for all the suggestions for this project from the forum.  I definitely relied on them.   Tools are the true super power.

Archived