IS there anything to adhere slip to a surface

Hi, For a bit of context I make pottery that I apply layers of slip to create a raised bumpy surface. When my work is in greenware stage the dots are easily knocked off, and although I can load my work with out knocking any off in my current studio situation Im not the one loading the kilns and I've been constantly getting pieces that have multiple dots missing. I was wondering if anyone knew of something that will help to keep attached pieces or slip trailing from being knocked off by people during loading. I was thinking maybe an organic hairspray or to coat the piece in wax

5 minutes ago, Sean Tessandori said:

Hi, For a bit of context I make pottery that I apply layers of slip to create a raised bumpy surface. When my work is in greenware stage the dots are easily knocked off, and although I can load my work with out knocking any off in my current studio situation Im not the one loading the kilns and I've been constantly getting pieces that have multiple dots missing. I was wondering if anyone knew of something that will help to keep attached pieces or slip trailing from being knocked off by people during loading. I was thinking maybe an organic hairspray or to coat the piece in wax

The only thing I've found that works really well, is to use your clay body as the slip, and apply the slip immediately after throwing while it's still green.  Don't wait til leather hard or use a mixed slip. It would be difficult to match wet->dry shrinkage between your clay body and a slip that is mixed.

I'ld try mixing up the slip with part water and part magic water. The sodium silicate in the magic water helps the clay surface dry hard. Would have to try a few tests to see what ratio of water:magic water works best. Magic water recipe if you don't have it already is 1 gallon of water, 3 tablespoons of sodium silicate and 1 1/2 teaspoons of soda ash.
Welcome to the forum. 

16 minutes ago, Min said:

I'ld try mixing up the slip with part water and part magic water. The sodium silicate in the magic water helps the clay surface dry hard. Would have to try a few tests to see what ratio of water:magic water works best. Magic water recipe if you don't have it already is 1 gallon of water, 3 tablespoons of sodium silicate and 1 1/2 teaspoons of soda ash.
Welcome to the forum. 

It's also a deflocculant so the slip can use less water and decrease shrinking

Archived