Clay diffuser - How to

FBM

Hello, 

i would like to make some ceramic clay diffuser in tree shape in the color white and balls (like the ones in the photos).  
Can someone help me giving me some tips like: what is the best clay option, is bisque fire the best technique, fire temperature, etc? 

thank you 

48A63122-AFB1-4480-AF45-307A0DBD855A.jpeg

BBF86F0D-44C1-429D-B15C-8A08742B2B33.jpeg

You need it to be porous, so anything fired at bisque temps- cone 04- would work. If you need less porosity, you can fire hotter. If you're going to go above bisque temps, then I recommend using cone 6 clay bodies. White clay bodies will get you white. Brown bodies will start out orange at bisque temps and go more brown as you get closer to cone 6. It'll take some testing to figure out the best combination of porosity and color. You could also stain a white body to get the color you want at a specific cone.

55 minutes ago, Babs said:

The oil will stain your clay. Just saying. And being porous if not hung can mark thhe furnishings if not tiled.

Hi Babs! Thanks for the response. 
what do you mean  by the oil will stain the clay? I have used my clay diffuser a few times and they clay remains white. The little clay balls I place in a ceramic or glass bowl. 

5 hours ago, neilestrick said:

You need it to be porous, so anything fired at bisque temps- cone 04- would work. If you need less porosity, you can fire hotter. If you're going to go above bisque temps, then I recommend using cone 6 clay bodies. White clay bodies will get you white. Brown bodies will start out orange at bisque temps and go more brown as you get closer to cone 6. It'll take some testing to figure out the best combination of porosity and color. You could also stain a white body to get the color you want at a specific cone.

Hi! Thank you so much for your help. It was very helpful. 

Well i made pots for a local euc. oil company. The idea was that oil eas placed in the porous pot and so diffused out into room.

The oil seeped out onto bench top. They didnt mind but I never felt comfortable. My name not on them so....made the white clay turn a bit oily looking....

Is this how your idea works or do the rocks sit above a steamer or candle?

Archived