Used Gare 1818...what to watch out for?

Cajonat

HI everyone, Newbie here :)

A used Gare 1818 just came up on Kijiji and I have been madly researching online about it. Going out to look at it as used kilns don't come up very often in my area 

What I know so far: Pics of the interior looks intact, except there is a mark (burn looking) in the bottom corner so that concerns me.  Outside looks in good shape - no rust. Hasn't been fired up for a couple of years. I've researched how to replace the elements and found there are parts in Canada so have a rough idea of cost of replacing stuff. We would be able to do the work if elements need replacing etc. and downloaded all the manuals I could find on the kiln L7-4K kiln sitter etc. So far it seems like this might be a good steady eddie first kiln basic model to start with. Or I am out lunch will check back in an hour to see if you have confirmed that? :)?

My first thought is $600 Cdn OBO may be a bit high???  It sounds like there is no furniture included, but I am getting that confirmed.  Thanks everyone!

1 hour ago, Cajonat said:

My first thought is $600 Cdn OBO may be a bit high???

I'm thinking that too. Post pictures of it so we can get a better idea of its condition. Is the size going to be big enough for your output and are you okay with firing a manual kiln? If it's in decent shape with furniture and a kiln sitter the most I'ld pay would be $200 but there are always used kilns available where I live.

Yes, size would be fine...and manual is fine for now. I'll post pics if I can get out to see it this weekend. There is a used Paragon A-8 -something-discontinued with 3 shelves, 2 half shelves, boxes of kiln stands etc. and cones...some brick damage, but doesn't look too bad. It's $600 but it's a 6-ish hour drive away. Argh. Too far to drive to see. 

• 6 months later...

Hello, I'm new to this site. I have a Gare kiln for sale. It was my sinus who passed away and im selling it for my uncle. I don't know much about it but here's what I know.  The bricks are in great shape. No burns. And we'll  guarantee it works.  Model # 1818    serial # 8369       watts 5520      volts 230      max. temp 2300  he wanted $900.00 but after checking around there's alot of room to negotiate.  You can text me at  816-294-5391  Thank you, Sherry Pendleton 

55 minutes ago, Sherry Pendleton said:

Hello, I'm new to this site. I have a Gare kiln for sale. It was my sinus who passed away and im selling it for my uncle. I don't know much about it but here's what I know.  The bricks are in great shape. No burns. And we'll  guarantee it works.  Model # 1818    serial # 8369       watts 5520      volts 230      max. temp 2300  he wanted $900.00 but after checking around there's alot of room to negotiate.  You can text me at  816-294-5391  Thank you, Sherry Pendleton 

Hi Sherry,

It would be better if you placed a post in the Community Marketplace here. Include where you are located as there are people from all over the world on this forum. 

• 4 weeks later...

Good day all! New to the forum ! i have a Gare TM1822.  Archaic, I am aware :) i've had it for 3 years and its done me well, however, iam in need of elements and have exhaustively searched and am coming up empty :( anyone have a clue or a contact???

Bunches of thx,

Elizabeth

6 minutes ago, ArtsyFartsyWI said:

Good day all! New to the forum ! i have a Gare TM1822.  Archaic, I am aware :) i've had it for 3 years and its done me well, however, iam in need of elements and have exhaustively searched and am coming up empty :( anyone have a clue or a contact???

Bunches of thx,

Elizabeth

Evenheat may be able to help, otherwise call Euclids, as they can make elements for any kiln.

Archived