L &L kiln slow to complete program

Skip

I was able to splice a new connector onto the old wire. The wire was in great shape and the new connector went on well and is firmly attached. The wire was not too short to easily be connected again with a bit of slack left. I just turned on the kiln and all the elements are working. Thank you so much for all of the help and suggestions from all who posted. It was a real help.

I fired the kiln to Cone 6 two days ago and it worked well. The time it took was a bit under the time it said it would take. I do have two questions. At the upper temperatures the kiln lid was raised from the ring it sits on about 3/16 of an inch on the side away from the hinge. Is this normal? Also the time was supposed to only got to 2199F but I watched it go to 2215F. I was getting ready to shut it off manually, but as I was debating it finally said Complete. Should I just have shut it off at 2199? I fired 6 pieces and they turned out well but there is some pinholing in the glaze on one of the pieces. I am still learning how to apply glaze, so it could be my error.

Yeah it's normal, the lid expands on the hot surface so it will go concave a bit at temperature (also a good reason not to put stuff on the lid)

As far as the temps go, does your kiln have a 3 zone controller or a single zone (how many thermocouples).

I don't know if it waits till all zones reach the cone temp or not, I don't watch mine at all.  But orton shows cone 6 as 2232 at a rate of 108f/hr so I wouldn't say it would matter a whole lot either way

If the firing went a little bit faster than planned, that could account for it going to a higher temp. Cones measure heat work, not temperature. Faster firing = higher temp to get the same heat work. Or it could have just been that it ran a little hotter in the middle in order for the top or bottom to get evened out. If the pots look good, don't worry about it.

You can toggle the thermocouple readout by pushing 1, 2 or 3 during the firing. 1 is the top, 2 the middle, 3 the bottom.

Archived