Polishing Porcelain In A Rock Tumbler

Just a little thought I had today...if I wanted Cone 6 fired porcelain to have a satin/low gloss finish without the use of an overglaze, do you think that I could achieve this using a rock polisher? I'm talking about very small items - pendants and beads. I would be interested to know if anyone on here has ever tried putting porcelain in a rock tumbler machine before?

13 minutes ago, SweetheartSister said:

Just a little thought I had today...if I wanted Cone 6 fired porcelain to have a satin/low gloss finish without the use of an overglaze, do you think that I could achieve this using a rock polisher? I'm talking about very small items - pendants and beads. I would be interested to know if anyone on here has ever tried putting porcelain in a rock tumbler machine before?

I think you would have success depend upon the desired look. While we have not used a polisher we have achieved various looks by sanding, polishing and burnishing even to a low gloss.

By sanding I am talking 500 to 2000 grit. We found it pretty easy to polish to a mild gloss with some effort.

All of our items are fully vitrified porcelain. 

It definitely is easier to use a glaze that provides the intended look though.

11 minutes ago, Callie Beller Diesel said:

The balls in the ball mill at school were all hand rolled out of porcelain, and had a very smooth, river rock-like feel. If your items are round and roughly the same size would they be self-polishing?

Yep, but it would take a lot longer than if you used prepolish and polish.  With my rockhounding stuff I polish smooth rocks sometimes and just skip the rough and fine abrasives.  

Archived