Brent CXC Control Box Wiring Diagram

joshua

Hello, 

I was recently gifted a wheel and it looked like at some point someone got into the control box and things weren't put back together properly. I was wondering if anyone might have a wiring diagram, or could point me in the right direction to getting this put back together to see if everything is even working. 

I've attached two pictures of what I'm working with. As I see it there are two main things I need to figure out. Where the red wire from the capacitor goes, where the hot, neutral, and ground wires from the motor go. 

Also, I was doing some research on these forums and found this topic: 

In that thread someone posted a very similar image of their control box, which includes what I think is a transformer. Is this perhaps missing from mine? 

Thanks in advance! 

IMG_4504.jpg

IMG_2280.jpg

I don’t think your reversing switch works and the only place that capacitor likely could go is across the motor (rectified dc by way of the full wave bridge). The bridge  appears in the upper right of your photo.  I am also pretty sure that the working voltage of the capacitor was increased over the years, maybe for longevity reasons.

This looks like one of the schematics I received over the years as far as the control board goes. This circuit sometimes leaked current to ground and tripped GFI’s for a number of reasons. Since it was gifted I am wondering if it’s not worth getting a new control. Expensive but I hate to speculate where the capacitor should go and the machine does leak electricity to ground and if I am right (maybe) your reversing switch was disconnected  for a reason.

The capacitor (if good) would  likely bridge the motor leads, positive to positive and negative to negative. If I am right the reversing switch would swap the motor leads but not the capacitor. Lots and lots of speculation here!

maybe someone has direct knowledge of this model though. I just don’t like the idea of working on a non protected (GFI) wheel. My suggestion, new controller and potentially new motor depending on the leakage path.

A popular diagram of the basic control I have is  below if that helps. It only shows the basic control though.

5D4E89A6-F638-4344-BACF-662277D4956E.png.297050211ae61ce59aeffb6ef4a14513.png

20 minutes ago, Bill Kielb said:

I don’t think your reversing switch works and the only place that capacitor likely could go is across the motor (rectified dc by way of the full wave bridge). The bridge  appears in the upper right of your photo.  I am also pretty sure that the working voltage of the capacitor was increased over the years, maybe for longevity reasons.

This looks like one of the schematics I received over the years as far as the control board goes. This circuit sometimes leaked current to ground and tripped GFI’s for a number of reasons. Since it was gifted I am wondering if it’s not worth getting a new control. Expensive but I hate to speculate where the capacitor should go and the machine does leak electricity to ground and if I am right (maybe) your reversing switch was disconnected  for a reason.

The capacitor (if good) would  likely bridge the motor leads, positive to positive and negative to negative. If I am right the reversing switch would swap the motor leads but not the capacitor. Lots and lots of speculation here!

maybe someone has direct knowledge of this model though. I just don’t like the idea of working on a non protected (GFI) wheel. My suggestion, new controller and potentially new motor depending on the leakage path.

A popular diagram of the basic control I have is  below if that helps. It only shows the basic control though.

5D4E89A6-F638-4344-BACF-662277D4956E.png.297050211ae61ce59aeffb6ef4a14513.png

Thanks so much for the reply, this gives me a lot to think about. 

Once you are looking at a new control box and a new moter (which from what I see is about $800), does it make sense to sink that cost into a 20-30 year old machine, or just start new for a few hundred more?

Thanks again! 

You have ann old controller the one photo does not show me anything? The cover photo shows me its very old by the switch on the front.Not a;ll brent contollers have transformers so do not sweat that-I would call Brent for any detaols you may need. 

I am for new. I think I have enough electronics to work through this and make it safe, but that’s just me and I would think twice about refurbishing unless I could source the replacements for a few hundred. I really don’t like anyone working on unprotected equipment. GFI’s have saved a lot of lives over the years.

still if someone knows this intimately maybe a no brainer. With luck someone might step up here. This is a very diverse forum.

Archived