China Paints

Has anyone on here used china paints on porcelain before? The popular brands are Willoughby's and Seeley's. They have a lovely, wide range of colours, but I'm concerned about the toxicity. If anyone on here has worked with them before, I would be interested to know how you have done so safely.

If not, are there other ways of decorating porcelain with multiple colours and lots of detail?

On 7/2/2019 at 1:22 AM, SweetheartSister said:

If anyone on here has worked with them before, I would be interested to know how you have done so safely.

Are you talking about the application and firing of them or safety concerns for the end user of the items?

Underglazes and a fine tipped brush, decals or underglaze transfers (bought or made yourself), are options too.

15 hours ago, Min said:

Are you talking about the application and firing of them or safety concerns for the end user of the items?

Underglazes and a fine tipped brush, decals or underglaze transfers (bought or made yourself), are options too.

Both I guess - I want to know if they are particularly dangerous for me to use,  and also if they would be any danger to the wearer of say a pendant decorated in china paints. I have used Amaco underglazes on my earthenware jewellery in the the past, so maybe I could try these again on porcelain, although I'm away that the colours would change at high firing temperatures.

Paul Lewing's video on CLAYflicks has a brief chapter on safety with china paints. To paraphrase him all china paints have some lead in them. When he wrote his book he had some of the china paints that are labelled as lead free tested for lead and they contained a very tiny amount of it. He goes on to say that the amounts of china paints used is so small and the studio's of china painters must be kept impeccably clean to avoid dust on their work that they are not nearly as dangerous to use as lead glazes. China paints aren't used on food surfaces, I don't know what, if any, detrimental outcomes would be from wearing jewellery with it.

Amaco velvet underglaze colour chart with samples fired to cones 05,5 and 10 here. The covering glaze on the underglaze will sometimes alter or bleach out the colour of the underglaze so testing what your glaze does over them is a good idea.

China paints are going to give you a different effect than underglazes, I think this comes down to what you are looking for.

Archived