Help with slab roller

Let me preface this with I don't have a whole lot of experience using a slab roller. I've used an exfriend's manual floor model on several occasions with few problems.  She would always use plastic under and over the clay which I liked because it kept the canvas clean, it minimized distortion and made it easy to lift and move the slabs.

Now I have my own 16" Bailey table top model. I tried doing the same thing but have no success because the clay doesn't feed properly. The plastic and the clay slip away and don't get fed through while the canvas and Masonite boards move through the rollers. I've tried putting the plastic only under the clay and a slab mat  on top of the clay but that didn't work either. Is the only solution to put the clay on the canvas? How do you keep the canvas clean?

I feel like such an idiot. What am I doing wrong?

I suggest using slab matts-they are smotth with no canvas marks-they do not hold much dust. You can buy them from slabmatt online.If you call thgem sometin=mes they have seconds you can buy in a larger size and cut them down to your size for cheaper as the flaws are on the edges.(https://slabmat.com)

You could also use used printer matts that you get from a print shop like a newspaper place. Oldlady speaks highly of them here. I need toi try them myself-they do not hold dust she says.

I use canvas on the bottom and slab Matt on top. The canvas will collect dust over time and needs to be shaken outside while wearing a mask now and then.

Plastic is to slick for a neuralized roller to grab so give up on that idea

Archived