Do you know what glaze this is?

48 minutes ago, liambesaw said:

Or wedge either of those or iron into your clay and fire in reduction and the dots will bleed through.

Or make a slip of the existing clay body to which is added the granular Ilmenite and/or manganese particles. This slip can be brushed on the green ware to cover the areas that should have the specks after firing.   
Using a decorative slip made from your standard clay body is a more efficient technique than wedging 'stuff' into the clay body.  It is easy to make a cup of slip on the spur of the moment to make a few special effect items. 

I keep a jar of crushed iron nodules nearby my wheel setup to mix into slip from my throwing / scrap bucket for decorative effects on the surfaces of bowls, mugs, and what-ever I am making.  If the item needs surface speckles, I just take some slip, add the crushed nodules, and apply the slip as one of the final finishing steps before putting the items out to dry.   Using slip allows me to control where speckles are allowed and where speckles are not allowed.  

LT

Archived