terre sigilatta

jkb

I have just bisque fired terre sig pieces at cone 04,  on cone 5-6 stoneware.  I wonder if I can now glaze over the terre sig?  Is there anything I need to be aware of? are there cautions?  Don't have any experience with terre sig.  I love the surface of the ware after bisque fire, but wonder what will change when I fire it to cone 5-6.  thanks

Hi JKB!

My only experience, thus far, blending up red and black (ish - more like dark grey) with just enough water to make slips; I'm screening to remove sand.

From there, both appear 'bout the same after bisque, however, the red "burns off" considerably in the glaze fire, leaving brush pattern*; the black turns colour somewhat, depending on the body and which clear glaze - brownish to light grey.

So, try it a glaze fire and see what happens?

...I'm curious to see what the forum regulars have to say on the subject.

*I like how the red slip (sieved Aardvark SRF) is turning out! Here it's underneath local JC's "Functional Clear" over Laguna WC850

small enough.JPG

Terra sig will loose some of its shiny, burnished finish when taken to higher temperatures, but will still feel smooth and soft.

Terra sig is mostly meant to be a low fire finish in itself, no glazing over necessary. It's nice all by itself.  It's something that might be impractical as a liner on a functional pot though, because it won't render the piece entirely waterproof.

thanks for your input.  I think I'm going to just start experimenting with a variety of glazes and cooling schedules to see what happens.  It might be a good diversion from my usual reliable way of working.  I'll report then I get going on this quest.  

3 hours ago, Hulk said:

Hi JKB!

My only experience, thus far, blending up red and black (ish - more like dark grey) with just enough water to make slips; I'm screening to remove sand.

From there, both appear 'bout the same after bisque, however, the red "burns off" considerably in the glaze fire, leaving brush pattern*; the black turns colour somewhat, depending on the body and which clear glaze - brownish to light grey.

So, try it a glaze fire and see what happens?

...I'm curious to see what the forum regulars have to say on the subject.

*I like how the red slip (sieved Aardvark SRF) is turning out! Here it's underneath local JC's "Functional Clear" over Laguna WC850

small enough.JPG

I made my terre sig the traditional way using Pete Pinnel's recipe - I made white and red.  Needed to try something new.  did not expect it to be almost like a glaze at the cone 04 bisque firing.  I am going to start experimenting with it and try a variety of cooling schedules. will post results when I get that far.  i need a new goal for myself .  

Archived