Cromartie Safefire 3000 series 2 help

Bobbo

Hi I bought an old cromartie kiln recently and am trying to figure out how to use the controller. For a simple bisque fire it's easy enough. The controller lets you program 2 ramps to 2 temps. For anything more complicated you need to link programs which is a new concept to me. I don't have a user manual so would be enormously grateful if somebody could point me in the direction of a manual or explain linking programs and how it might be done with this controller (photo attached).

Thanks,

Rob.

IMG_20181017_220154~2.jpg

You actually have a lot more leeway with a glaze firing than you do with a bisque, since there's no risk of blowing things up. Assuming you don't have very thick pieces, you can just do a simple program like 300F/hr for most of the firing, then 108F/hr for the last 200F degrees.

I would be more inclined to do more steps in a bisque, as there are more areas of concern. Slow at the beginning, middle and end, faster in between.

32 minutes ago, neilestrick said:

You actually have a lot more leeway with a glaze firing than you do with a bisque, since there's no risk of blowing things up. Assuming you don't have very thick pieces, you can just do a simple program like 300F/hr for most of the firing, then 108F/hr for the last 200F degrees.

I would be more inclined to do more steps in a bisque, as there are more areas of concern. Slow at the beginning, middle and end, faster in between.

That's what I thought I'd try tonight. I'm firing at 250c per hr then 83c for the last 100c.

Would be nice to know how to use the controller fully though.

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it.

Rob.

I can't find any manual on the safefire but there is one called Studio 3000 that looks similar and has this.

https://www.potclays.co.uk/studio/files/cms/pages/downloads/controllers/download-list-files-8867.pdf?nocache=20180917045822

LINKING (Not applicable to SP and MP models) At the point of the program entry where ‘End’ is displayed, you may link to another program if a more complex firing cycle is required. Whilst ‘End’ is displayed in program entry press and hold the secret key under the ‘P’ of IPCO. The ↑ / ↓ keys allow a Ln number to be displayed. When the program is run this link number will direct the controller to continue firing with the values in the ‘linked’ program. You may make as many links as you wish, however, each link uses up one of your ten programs which are thus not available to be run independently. Also be very careful that you do not link back to a program which is earlier in your current firing cycle, or a continuous loop will result.

Is there a button on the side under the cromartie logo? or try pressing up and down when it is saying end.

4 hours ago, High Bridge Pottery said:

I can't find any manual on the safefire but there is one called Studio 3000 that looks similar and has this.

https://www.potclays.co.uk/studio/files/cms/pages/downloads/controllers/download-list-files-8867.pdf?nocache=20180917045822

Is there a button on the side under the cromartie logo? or try pressing up and down when it is saying end.

Hi, thanks so much for taking the time to find that for me.

Glad to say I now have the correct manual for my controller.  Googled Cromartie who are now Cromartie Hobbycraft ( and only just up the road from me) and a very helpful chap called Mark sent me a PDF of the manual!

Thanks to everyone for their help.

Rob.

Archived