Butterscotch Yellow glaze TOO yellow!

Marge

Hi there! I made a cone 6 Butterscotch Yellow Glaze. It is too bright of a yellow, I'd like to make it a little "softer". I will include the recipe... I'm used to mixing/measuring the dry ingredients and adding water. How would I add a certain percentage of a chemical to my wet glaze? Would I weigh a certain amt of the wet glaze and add a percentage of dry? Thanks a bunch! I have a few gallons of it.  --Margie--

Frit 3134        20

Dolomite        20

Spodumene  20

Ball Clay         20

Silica                20

Titanium Dioxide    10

Rutile             6

I guess it depends on how you're defining 'too yellow'. Is it too yellow in that it's too saturated, or that the hue is too yellow? If it's too saturated, then diluting it with more base glaze would help. If the hue is too yellow, and you'd like it to be earthier, then adding some iron may do the trick, 1-2% for starters. If it's both too saturated and not earthy enough, then you'll need to do both.

It’s definitely the hue that is too yellow for me. I’m going to add some RIO to it... 1-2%. Do I take 100g of wet glaze and add 1-2 g of dry iron for my test tile. I assume wet doesn’t calculate exactly to dry like that... or should I add water to the iron then weigh that first? Thanks!!

35 minutes ago, Marge said:

It’s definitely the hue that is too yellow for me. I’m going to add some RIO to it... 1-2%. Do I take 100g of wet glaze and add 1-2 g of dry iron for my test tile. I assume wet doesn’t calculate exactly to dry like that... or should I add water to the iron then weigh that first? Thanks!!

It's hard to know exactly how much dry material is in the wet mix. I would take 200g of wet glaze and add 2g iron as a starting point. Dip a tile then, add another 2g and dip a tile. Add another 2g and dip a tile. You should find something in the useable range among those 3 tiles. Then you can do another round of testing to dial it in. Once you figure out the correct iron to wet glaze ratio you can math it out for the whole bucket.

Archived