Legal details of shows outside of US

I'm branching out to Canada and possibly Germany in terms of selling work at cash carry and  trade shows.
This comes with tax and customs requirements assume? 
Next month I'm suppose to drive up to British Columbia, crossing border with work I'll be selling.

Anyone here have experience with what to expect in terms of customs fee / taxes?

I'm a US national, if that matters.

Thank you!

Well yes it does-you can drive fast thru the border and not stop-may avoid paperwork but most likely will not avoid other issues.

I was invited to a art show in Vancouver once about a decade ago as I do a show near the border in Washington state.

I checked into the crossing with van full of work and it was nightmare I did not want to do live.

There was a booth near me for about 5 years at same WA state show from Canada and they said the paper work for them was worth it. They gave up that thought 5 years later.

Since selling work is no problem for me at that stage working harder to do that made no sense.

You should talk to customs about the issues as well as the tax dept about those  issues .

I know the money will be an issue that needs to be resolved.Sending pots to Canada I have done as well and that also has a tax/paperwork trail.

I would call the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) and talk with someone about everything that is involved. I know you will need a Business Number for starters then will have to find the tariff classification number(s) and rates and so forth. You will also need to talk with someone at the Canada Revenue Agency about taxes, both federal and provincial sales tax in BC. 

Now, this was in the news about a month ago or so, and involves a yarn seller going from Canada to the US, not the other way around. But you may also need to make sure you don't need any work visas or anything like that, in addition to whatever duty and other taxes need paying.  Our governments are not currently making nice with each other over trade agreements right now.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4277786/lindsay-yarn-store-owner-stopped-border/

Its starting to sound like a complex situation -I hope you report back to us on what hoops you have to jump thru.

(Our governments are not currently making nice with each other over trade agreements right now.) now thats an understatement I feel.

Archived