SHIMPO Master Series 750--Price Opinions?? Known Problems??

Hi,

Does anyone have any experience with this older shimpo?  I have found one for sale for $450. It has a 1hp motor and has been treated well.  It has a 1hp motor and a large work table like a half moon that surrounds the wheel at one end of it.

On Shimpo's manual page they describe it as :

"The Master Series utilizes state-of-the-art components to achieve remarkable power combined with extremely smooth speed adjustment and virtually noiseless operation.

Features of the M400 and M750 include:

• Heavy-duty steel construction assures long service life

• PWM controller/industrial grade potentiometer/ribbed belt drive together maximize motor power while ensuring smooth speed adjustment and noiseless operation

• Fully enclosed body case keeps internal parts dry and clean

• Removable bottom plate permits easy access to interior

• Remote foot pedal will independently hold speed while ensuring maximum comfort and flexibility

• 14” wheel head easily accommodates large work"

Are there any disadvantages to this type of wheel vs a new Skutt or Brent?  I am not sure what the PWM controller is or why an industrial grade potentiometer with a ribbed belt drive would be an advantage, but the company must have thought it was a benefit--or hype.

Any thoughts?

Thank you,

I've got one these wheels and I use it heavily. Bought in new about 25 years ago, its still running perfectly. Only repairs that have needed doing was to replace the on / off switch about 5 years ago and the wire going into the pedal has come loose a couple times so that needed tightening up. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Teala62,

I was wondering if you purchased the Shimpo 750 wheel?  I am looking for one, or more, and if your not going to purchase it, I would be very interested and would even be willing to pay a finders fee...

Thanks

On 6/20/2018 at 11:00 PM, DRD said:

Hi Teala62,

I was wondering if you purchased the Shimpo 750 wheel?  I am looking for one, or more, and if your not going to purchase it, I would be very interested and would even be willing to pay a finders fee...

Thanks

I did not purchase it.  The lady sold it before I called her back. 

• 1 year later...

I have an older m750 belt drive shimpo wheel, the motor is surging and speed can not be controlled ,it has a slide switch  in the remote pedal and I'm guessing this could be the problem is this switch a potentiometer and is it still available I would appreciate any help thanks Ken

Welcome to the forum spike 123. That's exactly what mine started doing earlier this year. It would go in fits and starts then if I left it running it would smooth out and act normally. Got worse and worse and was unreliable. Checked the potentiometer, how to do this here if you need it. It checked out okay on my wheel so I put the problem down to the controller. Kruger Pottery still has some parts, including the potentiometer but have sold out of the controllers. I landed up buying a new wheel.

Archived