Not sure if this kiln is a good deal?

Hi there,

I found a 23x29” Evenheat Kiln Perfect Fire 2329 with some furniture, shelving  and accessories for $850.  The owner never set up the kiln, but said it is in good working condition.  I haven’t looked at the kiln in person yet, and I haven’t been able to find much information on the model, seeing how it’s older and I wondered if there’s anyone out there with any experience with these, or an opinion on the line?  Any info would be helpful, I just want to make sure whether it is worth further inquiry.  Thank you in advance!

not much info here.  would help to have the model number and serial number so someone who DOES know about them would have enough to make a stab at it.    photos would help, too.  is it on craigslist or something like that?  that is a lot of money for something you know nothing about.

Evenheat makes a nice kiln. If the bricks are in good shape, the wiring isn't brittle, and the controller works, it's worth buying. I wouldn't pay $850 for it, though, unless it's in really good shape. The Perfect Fire controller is one of the very first digital controllers, and is not all that functional. It only lets you program one rate of climb for the entire firing, so you can't do a slow climb at first, then speed up at higher temps. It'll work, it's just not ideal. I would contact Evenheat and see if it can be swapped out for a new controller without too much trouble. If it can, and the rest of the kiln is in really good condition, then even with spending $250 on a new controller you'd have a very affordable kiln.

7 hours ago, oldlady said:

not much info here.  would help to have the model number and serial number so someone who DOES know about them would have enough to make a stab at it.    photos would help, too.  is it on craigslist or something like that?  that is a lot of money for something you know nothing about.

Umm...the model number, as stated in the original post, is an Evenheat Perfect Fire 2329.  The serial number is 65321.  It’s on Craigslist, I’m just trying to find some info/helpful opinions before I drive over an hour to look at it.  But thank you for your concern.

2 hours ago, neilestrick said:

Evenheat makes a nice kiln. If the bricks are in good shape, the wiring isn't brittle, and the controller works, it's worth buying. I wouldn't pay $850 for it, though, unless it's in really good shape. The Perfect Fire controller is one of the very first digital controllers, and is not all that functional. It only lets you program one rate of climb for the entire firing, so you can't do a slow climb at first, then speed up at higher temps. It'll work, it's just not ideal. I would contact Evenheat and see if it can be swapped out for a new controller without too much trouble. If it can, and the rest of the kiln is in really good condition, then even with spending $250 on a new controller you'd have a very affordable kiln.

Thank you so much!  The bricks seems to be in good shape, I’ll check to see if I can swap out the controller.  I appreciate your helpful reply!

laura,  neil is our kiln guru.  believe him.

sorry if i somehow insulted you.   a model number is the actual number on the electrical information label usually embossed in metal that identifies the actual technical information, not an advertising term.   go ahead and buy the kiln if you like, my suggestion was apparently useless to you. 

8 hours ago, oldlady said:

laura,  neil is our kiln guru.  believe him.

sorry if i somehow insulted you.   a model number is the actual number on the electrical information label usually embossed in metal that identifies the actual technical information, not an advertising term.   go ahead and buy the kiln if you like, my suggestion was apparently useless to you. 

That is the model number embossed on the kiln.   I’ve been reading this forum for awhile and I agree that Neil seems amazing, so glad you agree.

Archived