firebrick crack

tjbanjo

Your crack is going to continue to open and close with the expansion and contraction of firing.  Little chunks of the coating on the kiln bricks will fall into the firing.  For a real fast temporary fix put a shelf as the top layer in a glaze firing,  that will help protect the pieces.   The second longest temporary fix is to repair it with some Paragon Liquid Kiln Coating.  I needed a new lid for my big  Skutt, I didn't want to pay the price for a new lid for such a old kiln.  I got a defective lid that was new but the finish was popping off of it.  I follow the directions and I haven't had any flaking or cracking with the new kiln coating.  Just sanding back the kiln coating away from the crack could help if you can't find some kiln coating.   You will eventually have to replace the lid,  I have replace two lids on my Skutt.   Denice

I wonder if Pyrolite could be injected into the lid crack to repair it. Pyrolite is a high temperature adhesive that remains flexible because it contains ceramic fiber. I will look into this.

Sincerely,

Arnold Howard

Paragon Industries, L.P., Mesquite, Texas USA
ahoward@paragonweb.com / www.paragonweb.com

Archived