Soldner wheels

Rex Johnson

I'll be buying a new wheel in the spring, probably a Thomas Stuart legend.

That said, anyone here have knowledge or use a Soldner?

Reason I ask is a fellow I bought a kiln from I remember mention that the Soldner was the 'Cadillac' of wheels.

I can't seem to find any reviews or opinions. Like most ceramics equipment, there seems a lack in specifics about the item in question...

Soldner wheels are awesome! Smooth, powerful, etc. Their downside is that they don't have much of a splash pan, if that's important to you. The TS wheel has great power, etc, too, plus a big pan that will keep your studio floor much cleaner. Personally, I prefer the built in splash pan on the TS wheels. It's more solid, you can brace your knees against it, it makes the wheel even heavier, and isn't any more difficult to clean than the removable pan.

Soldner speed control (foot pedals)where /are one of the better ones ever made.

The thing I never liked about them is the huge table top-I do not have that kind of space in my small studio. You could live on the tabletop.  The top is a bit like an aircraft carrier with all the space. I called them flattops.You can store your clay water a cat and have dinner on the side on that top .I like the smaller more traditional shapes of the other brands of wheels.

As to reviews on ceramic equipment -you will never find it as all publications (except studio potter) are all supported by advertising from ceramic equipment suppliers .In the old days studio potter ran reviews but they changed direction to a more cloud based esthetic-less hands on.I have written them a few times as they could do reviews well and are not bettered to advertising dollars .I think I may write again to them as this situation is really not right, and I have supported them for 4_+ decades. Hey they are looking for an director right now Rex you could change up the whole publication?

Yes, problematic. I get it that ceramics equipment sellers more than often use the standard one angle view of a product supplied by the manufacturer.

Fine.

But for someone wanting to spend big bucks on a kiln, pugmill, wheel, wants specifics and detailed pics. Well at least I do. ;)

I guess clayheads aren't necessarily graphic arts or web savvy.

The Bailey website is pretty good, but even they have ONE picture of a slab roller in m ost cases.

If I was the Art Director why I'd...

Archived