Methods to creating your own Glaze

Happy New Years everyone!

I'm writing to you all because recently while in college studio, I decided to create my own glazes recipes, and I chose pick dry materials based off of what my eyes fell onto in our glaze materials room. Now I was given an chart where you created your own glaze by using an A,B,C pyramids. I am curious to read how alot of you create your own glazes along with what method of testing do you use to see what the glaze produces. I know for myself I like Indian to Middle Eastern color themes.

I'm no expert on that style of pottery but just looking at a search in google I'm finding what looks like brightly colored under glazes hand painted on pots in patterns. Then the pots would be fired once to bisque and then glazed with a clear and refired. This is a fairly simple endeavor, because glaze chemistry for a clear is pretty easy. You can find a number of clear base glazes in almost any temperature. These pots in the pictures look like low fired earthenware covered over with a slip or engobe. Possibly even a majolica style glaze. Ceramic stains and under glazes are also really simple to formulate, and can also be found commercially. The commercial products are usually highly reliable but are significantly more expensive than making your own from dry raw materials and colorants.

• 1 month later...

Archived