firing schedule needed

Hi all,

I had a problem with slabs, not too thick , cracking and exploding. From posting in this forum on another thread i realized that my firing schedule was too fast. I need to drive off any moisture in the slabs.

I have a Nabertherm B130 controller which has 4 ramps and two temp ramps.

Im looking for recommendation for a firing schedule, that will drive off moisture. I can candle but then i cant bisque fire in same schedule as there isnt enough temp ramps.

Any help very much welcome.

thanks  Julia

6 hours ago, eoteceramics said:

Hi Neil

I mean it can be programmed to reach a temp in a certain amount of time 

then another temp in a given time, then a holding time then a cooling time.

It has pre programmes but these are too fat for what I want.

So you only get 2 ramps up, a hold, and a cooling? That's hardly worth the effort of putting a digital controller on a kiln! If you're getting explosions, then it's going too fast at the start. A preheat/handle should solve the problem. Can you add a preheat to a preprogrammed cone fire? That should do the trick.

I would just run the candle overnight then if you have 4 ramps the Bartlett controller slow bisque program should work.

candle: get the kiln up to 185F over 2 or 3 hours then once it's there hold at 185F overnight.

Then I would enter the slow bisque profile from Bartlett controllers:

200F an hour up to 1000F

100F an hour up to 1100F

180F an hour up to 1676F

80F an hour up to end of firing temp (I don’t know what you fire to, ^04 would be 1926F with this program)

I think that you can follow Min"s program by using the  first time ramp as a slow ramp from ambient  to what will get you to 200 deg F, (2  hours 10 min from ambient of 75 deg F gets to around 200 deg F) than the second time ramp to get you to a temp you will set in the program, than the next two  time ramps to get you to the bisque temp you will set in the program.   In other words you don't have to use up your 2  setpoints for temperature  right away but can use ramp rates to get to blind setpoints.

David

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Are you trying to dry slabs out in your kiln? Let them get nice and bone dry before loading. If they are too fragile to handle while bone dry then load them onto a kiln shelf which you can place into kiln when it is dry enough, or load them into the kiln when they arent so brittle and then let them dry naturally. But, like everyone else said, program a hold at 210 deg F for 1-4 hours (depending on need) before ramping up to temp.

Archived