Feldspar White Glaze

Rex Johnson

I know this is a bit innocuous but..

I'm looking for a opaque white matte feldspar glaze we use to use as a base back in junior college.

Cone 10.

Basically I remember feldspar based which was super white and we added cobalt to make blue and rutile to make that goldish ocher color.

Seemed very stable,  except if over fired it would run, but it worked well over a splash of iron oxide glaze underneath with finger marks.

I would break on lines and ridges well. Sometimes it would go glassy if pooled in a nook if thick and fired hot.

Any suggestions?

similar look >>>

l_4380.5703a44b068e6.jpg

Nevermind, I think I found what I'm looking for. Not a felspar glaze but the surface I was describing.

Δ10 Oxidation, Reduction
White Salt

Nepheline Syenite (Theoretical) 71.6    
Dolomite 23.6    
Kentucky OM #4 Ball Clay 4.8    
Total Base: 100    
Zircopax 18    
Bentonite 4    
Rutile 1.1    
Total: 123.1  

l_3284.561efb85490e6.jpg

Just remembered this glaze, and I think it might fit your needs. 

It's pretty plain by itself, but it layers with other glazes really beautifully. Be mindful of creating eutectic runs, though. 

Turner's Beauty ^10

30  Custer Feldspar

20 EPK 

22 Dolomite

20 Spodumene

6. Tin oxide

2  Whiting

Note: the last time I used this was in the 90's, so the formulation for Custer was different. It may need to be rewritten, given the chemical shift of that particular material over the last few decades. Test this version first, and if it doesn't work, message me and I'll run it through my Insight. 

Archived