Switch Amperage Question

I just replaced the elements. I'm always trying to learn more through testing and investigation. The resistance on all elements was good, as you would expect for new elements. Tested all three 3position switches, normal. When I moved on to testing amperage, I had some interesting results that I can't account for. I wrote them down in the included attachment. I recorded the amperage of each of the elements, in low/med/high. I welcome some advice or information about my results.

post-79826-0-20672200-1499620124_thumb.jpeg

What brand of kiln? The Skutt elements are designed so that the top-most element in the kiln (upper element in the top section) and the lower-most element in the kiln (lower element in the bottom section) are hotter to account for heat loss through the lid and base. The low/med/high switches then turn the elements on in an unusual pattern if you weren't aware of the design. Low turns on only the lower element in that section. Medium turns on both elements but wired in series. High turns on both elements but wired in parallel. Thus each section will have differing electrical characteristics at each switch setting.

So sorry, it's an Olympic 2327. I agree, and understand the amperage on high. I don't understand why at med only one element is on, and what causes the different amp draw. As far as I know, the top and bottom are the only two elements with different, hotter, temperature for the reasons you have stated. I find it interesting that the middle two elements, on low, registered so much lower in amperage. What causes this? All three switches are the same, the four central elements have the same resistance, so should also be the same. All three switches are straight wired to the kiln sitter. The kiln sitter doesn't control how these elements behave......I looked up what wiring diagrams there are, it's wired correctly, the switches are good(tested)....I would just like to know why it behaves this way, I like to have some confidence in repairing not only my equipment, but also when helping others with theirs

Archived